This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places, and incidents are either the product of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously, and any actual resemblance to persons or historical persons, living or dead, business establishments, events, or locales is entirely coincidental.

The Dukes of Hazzard characters, settings, locales, ect. are owned by other entities who have not endorsed this fic nor have they given express permission for the character's use. Author makes not claims to these characters and is not making any profit from their use.

All original characters are the property of the author.

No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in or introduced into a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, or by any means (electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise), without the prior written permission of the author or any legally assigned agents of the author.

© Copyright: 1996-2004. Lisa Philbrick

The Dukes of Hazzard

The Return of Mrs. Rosco P. Coltrane (Part One)
B
y: Lisa Philbrick




Yes, she returns, and Rosco ends up in deeper doo-doo than before!

***


Friends and neighbors, this is a story of a reunion.

The General Lee was roaring it's way down Mill Road with Bo at the wheel. He and Luke soon caught up with a coach bus that was on it's way to Hazzard.

"Must be the 2:15 from Chickasaw," Luke said.

Only it was one of those reunions you never thought would happen, especially if you were Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane. Because sitting on that bus was the last person in the world ol' Rosco ever thought he'd see again.

Sue Ann MacGraw.


The boys followed the bus all the way to town and then veered off and headed toward Cooter's garage. The bus continued on toward the depot.

For those of you who don't recall the name, Sue Ann was part of a con that involved shuckin' and jivin' Rosco into gettin' married, so that everybody would be out of the center of town while Sue Ann's husband and a partner robbed Boss Hogg's bank. It almost worked, but the Dukes figured out what was goin' on and Sue Ann and her confederates were caught, leavin' Rosco feelin' like a fool.

Sue Ann stepped off the bus with just her carry-on bag and looked around. In five years, about the only thing about her that had changed was her longer hair length. Everything else about her was relatively the same; same figure, same brown eyes.

Looks about the same don't she? Even though the last five years have been spent in the Federal Women's Prison in Atlanta.

Sue Ann hesitated a moment before starting towards the police station. She saw a white patrol car go by and come to a stop in front of the courthouse. She watched the female deputy get out and bounce up the steps to the door.

If Sue Ann thought meeting Rosco again was gonna be awkward, wait 'til she meets MaryAnne.

As Sue Ann started to walk across the square, MaryAnne was settling in at the booking desk. Rosco came out of his office with a piece of paper in his hand.

MaryAnne looked up. "Whatchya got?"

"Stolen vehicle APB from Chickasaw County. You know, if Little ran his county right he wouldn't have this problem and he wouldn't need me to do all his dirty work for him." Rosco handed the sheet to MaryAnne. She smiled and looked at the sheet.

"A '62 Plymouth. White. No back left door." She giggled. "Who'd wanna steal a car like that?"

"Little says it might have been a drunk."

"Oh. Well, I'll get on the CB to Enos and tell him to be on the look out for it."

Rosco turned to go back to his office when the door to the booking office swung open. He stopped and looked at her.

They stood looking at each other for a silent moment with MaryAnne looking back and forth between the two.

"Hello, Rosco," Sue Ann said finally.

"Sue Ann," Rosco said. He didn't seem very interested in seeing her again.

"Um, I know you probably didn't want to see me again and I don't blame you. I myself never thought I'd come back to Hazzard but I'm in trouble."

Rosco stood there and crossed his arms over his chest. He said nothing.

"I was paroled a couple of months ago," she continued, "and I've run into some trouble. Rosco, you're the only one I can think of to help. Please, just listen to what I have to say before you make a decision."

"I'm the only on you can think of," he repeated disbelievingly. "Must be a doosy of a problem."

"Or she's desperate," MaryAnne chimed in.

"Oh, Sue Ann this is my cousin, MaryAnne. MaryAnne, this is--"

"Sue Ann Bliss," MaryAnne said. "Or is it MacGraw? Or how about Lucretia MacEvil? Oh yeah, I know who you are. You're Rosco's ex-wife which is very strange to say, considering y'all were only married for about two hours. Yeah, Rosco told me all about what happened. How you shucked and jived him into getting married (at the Boar's Nest of all places) while your real husband (oops, did you forget were already married?) and another partner robbed Boss Hogg's bank. Then after y'all were caught you gave Rosco some cockamamie apology that went something like, 'I'm not only sorry for what I did I'm sorry I did to you,' (SOB!) and then had the audacity to say, 'but you are kinda cute.'"

"MaryAnne," Rosco scolded.

"No," Sue Ann said. "I deserved that. Just like I deserved to go jail for what I was a part of. Rosco, I am sorry for what I did to you, I really am. I think that's really why I came back to Hazzard, to say I'm sorry again."

"And to get my help," Rosco reminded her.

"Well..."

"Alright Sue Ann, I'm listening but it doesn't necessarily mean I'm going to help."

Sue Ann nodded. "Okay," she said. "Vic, who is now my ex-husband, and Collins were paroled a few weeks before I was. They set up the con again in a small town just over the state line with another girl. They pulled it off and they all got away but the cops are lookin' for me instead of her. If I get arrested it'll break my parole and they'll put me back in jail, guilty or not. I figured if you went with me to Piedmont, Alabama maybe it would help straighten this whole thing out, considering you are Sheriff.

"Ha, that's rich," MaryAnne said. "You're asking a previous victim of the same con to help you prove you had nothing to do with this current con? Gimmie a break."

"I realize I'm probably asking a lot and that the past can complicate it, but I don't know who else to ask or what else I could do. You're the only Sheriff I know."

"What about your parole officer?" MaryAnne asked.

"The police have a lot of evidence that suggests it was me. She would
have no choice but to turn me in." Sue Ann looked at Rosco. "Can you help?"

Rosco hesitated a moment. Slowly, he shook his head. "I'm sorry, Sue Ann," he said. "I don't think it'd be a good idea for me to help you."

Sue Ann nodded. "I understand," she said with disappointment. "Um, the next bus to Chickasaw County doesn't leave until tomorrow at five so I'm gonna be here for a couple of days. If you think of anything that I could maybe do to help my situation, I'll be staying at the Hazzard Hotel." Their eyes locked for a moment and then Sue Ann quietly turned and left the booking room.

MaryAnne was still shaking her head. "She's gotta be kiddin' to come back here after what she did to you and expect you to help her out."

Rosco was still looking at the door. "Yeah," he said distantly. "Don't forget to get that APB to Enos." He turned and went back to his office.

MaryAnne watched him go. He's not seriously thinking of helping her, is he? she wondered.

Outside, Sue Ann was making her way across the street and heading toward the hotel as Bo and Luke drove by from Cooter's garage. They spotted Sue Ann as she got on the sidewalk.

"Did that lady look familiar to you?" Luke asked as they drove past.

"Yeah, now that you mention it." Bo turned and looked out the back window at Sue Ann. "Oh, no way."

"What?"

"That's Sue Ann MacGraw. Remember? The one that snookered Rosco about five years ago?"

"Aw geez," Luke said. "What the heck is she doin' back in Hazzard?"

"I don't know, but if I was Rosco I don't think I'd be to particular about seeing her again."

"I hear ya on that."

* * *

Rosco sat in his office for nearly an hour after Sue Ann left. That ol' boy sure has a hard time holdin' grudges and was seriously contemplatin' Sue Ann's request for help. He actually believed she was sorry and if MaryAnne knew that she'd probably have Rosco's badge. Along with his hide.

A light knock sounded on the door of Rosco's office and it opened enough for MaryAnne to poke her head in.

"Enos just called on the radio," she said. "He found that stolen car and he thinks it might have been purposely stolen and not just randomly taken by a drunk. I'm gonna go out and take a look."

"Okay."

She looked at him for a moment. "You okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"All right," she smiled. "I'll be back." She closed the door.

Rosco went to the window and watched for MaryAnne to come out and drive away. After she did, he left his office and walked out of the courthouse heading toward the hotel.

* * *

"She ain't here Rosco," the desk clerk said. "At least not right now. She checked in about an hour ago and then left about ten minutes ago."

"Do you know where she went?"

The desk clerk shrugged. "And no, I don't know when she'll be back either. What's she doin' back here anyway?" he asked.

"Never mind," Rosco spat. He turned and started to leave. "I ain't quite figured that out yet anyway," he mumbled.

Meanwhile, Sue Ann was standing by the magazine rack at the Hazzard bookstore, flipping through the latest issue of Newsweek. A tall, dirty blonde haired man came up next to her and grabbed an issue of Southern Living.

"He said no," Sue Ann said. "Although I'm not surprised."

"I think you've got him reconsidering though," he said.

"Why do you say that?"

" 'cuz I just saw him coming out of the hotel a minute ago."

Sue Ann looked at the man.

"I'm leaving this afternoon," he continued, "I expect you to be there by tomorrow afternoon. If you're not, I continue on."

"I know," she said. "I'll be there."

"Alright." He placed the magazine back on the rack and left the bookstore.

Now I wonder what that's all about?

Meanwhile, Enos and MaryAnne were looking over that stolen car.


The white Plymouth was partially hid behind some bushes about twenty feet from the Old Ridge Road.

"I don't think it was stolen by a drunk because I didn't smell any alcohol in the car," Enos explained as he and MaryAnne approached the car. "It was also pretty professionally hotwired too."

MaryAnne nodded thoughtfully. She went around to the passenger side of the car and looked in the window.

"So whoever took it must've done so just to get from Chickasaw to Hazzard," she said. "Thing is, who and what kind of trouble has arrived in our fair county?" She spotted a piece of paper on the floor and opened the passenger door in order to reach it.

"What is it?" Enos asked.

MaryAnne unfolded the paper and looked at it.

"It's directions to the Hazzard bookstore," she said.

"The bookstore?"

She giggled. "What, were they sold out of Farm and Tractor magazine in Chickasaw and had to come here?"

"They might have met somebody there," Enos suggested.

"Yeah, I was thinking that too," she said, folding the paper and placing it in her shirt pocket. "Let's get Cooter on the CB and get this thing back to the impound."

* * *

Rosco waited a little while before going back to the hotel again.

"She just came in," the desk clerk said before Rosco even said anything. "Room four. Can't understand why you're so eager to see her."

"Hush," Rosco said as he walked by the desk. "None of yer business."

Rosco found the door and paused a moment before knocking.

Rosco had to take a moment to debate whether or not he really wanted to help. He couldn't help but remember what had happened five years earlier, but another part of him was thinkin' that people change, and there was only one way he was gonna find out if Sue Ann had changed.

Rosco knocked on the door.

It was a few moments before Sue Ann opened the door. Her eyebrows fluttered in surprise.

"Rosco," she said.

Rosco took his hat off. "May I come in?"

"Sure." She opened the door wider to let him in.

Rosco turned back to her after she closed the door.

"Have you reconsidered all ready?" she asked, approaching him.

"Well, I've been thinking," he said. "Sue Ann, I have a hard time holding grudges. I guess I'm willing to believe you, and if you really are in trouble than I'd like to help."

Sue Ann's face brightened. "Oh Rosco!" she exclaimed giving him a hug. "Thank you so much." She let go and looked at him. "I guess second chances do exist don't they?"

"Yeah," he said and smiled. "Yeah, I guess they do."

* * *


MaryAnne was leaning on the open window of her patrol car with CB mike in hand, becoming more exasperated with each time she had to say 'Rosco.'

"Rosco, for pete's sake, will you answer me?"

The radio responded in silence.

"Rosco! Oh, forget it." She tossed the mike back in the car.

"Like trying to talk to a brick wall sometimes," she muttered as she came up beside Enos, who was watching Cooter's tow truck pull the white Plymouth out of the bushes and on to the road.

Enos and MaryAnne went up to the truck after Cooter came to a stop.

"We'll see you at the impound," Enos said.

"Yeah," MaryAnne said. "By the way, have you seen Rosco?"

"Funny you should ask that," Cooter said. "Just after you had left I saw him go over to the hotel and then he went back to the courthouse and then just before y'all called on the CB he went back to the hotel again."

"Aw geez."

"What's the matter?" Cooter asked.

"Long story," she said. "I think Rosco's on his way to some trouble that's all."

* * *

After Cooter left the car at the impound, MaryAnne suggested to Enos that they dust the car for fingerprints. That girl's always thinkin' ain't she?

"I realize there's probably a zillion prints on it but I've got a strange hunch."

"Okay," Enos said. "MaryAnne? What did you mean when you said to Cooter that Sheriff Rosco might be on his way to some trouble?"

MaryAnne looked at Enos. She could see he was concerned about Rosco and smiled in appreciation. She then explained about Sue Ann, what she did five years earlier and what she was back in town for.

"I'm leery about the whole thing," she said. "I'm just afraid she's gonna snooker him again and he's gonna let it happen."

"Snooker him how?"

MaryAnne paused. "I don't know. She's a con artist, Enos, it could be anything. I mean, think about it. After what she did to Rosco, doesn't it seem a little weird that she should come back here because she's in some kind of trouble and the only person she can think of to help is Rosco?"

"It is kind of odd," Enos agreed.

"There. Then you understand my suspicion?"

"Yeah." He nodded.

"Alright. Come on, let's get the stuff and dust this thing."

* * *

Sue Ann's bookstore friend nearly turned the same color white as the paint job of his car that was no longer where he had left it. He could see the tracks where it had been dragged out and he figured it was most likely in the police impound. He silently cursed his dumb luck and started out down the road heading back to Chickasaw County.

I'd sure like to know what that feller was up to in town talkin' to Sue Ann.

Enos and MaryAnne, meanwhile, collected a lot of prints off the car and sent them all to the FBI in Atlanta. It would take a day before all of them were analyzed.


"Half of them have probably been on there for fifteen years," MaryAnne said. "Assuming the car's never been washed."

They then called Sheriff Little over in Chickasaw to let him know they found the car and what they were up to with it.

"That's pretty good," Little said, obviously impressed with MaryAnne's police thinking. "Are you really related to Rosco?"

"Yes, I am," MaryAnne replied. "Although sometimes I wonder."

Rosco had been out on patrol the whole time Enos and MaryAnne were dustin' the car for prints. Before he left the hotel, Sue Ann asked to meet at the Boar's Nest later on to talk in more detail about how he would help her
when they got to Piedmont. Rosco agreed.


MaryAnne was sitting at the bar with a glass of root beer in front of her when Rosco and Sue Ann came into the Boar's Nest. She turned and watched them go to a table.

"The dang fool," she whispered, shaking her head.

She turned back to the bar and took a sip from the root beer. Over the other voices she could hear them talking but couldn't make out exactly what they were saying.

Daisy came back behind the bar.

"MaryAnne? How come that lady with Rosco looks familiar?" she asked.

"That's Rosco's ex-wife."

Daisy looked at MaryAnne wide eyed.

"Sue Ann?" MaryAnne said.

Daisy's jaw dropped. "What's she doin' back in Hazzard?"

"Says she was paroled from prison and is in some kind of trouble and Rosco's the only one she can think of to help. Load of bull if you ask me." MaryAnne turned back to look again and saw Sue Ann smile sweetly and lightly touch a finger to Rosco's face.

"Ugh," she said turning back to Daisy. "I think I'm gonna be ill."

"MaryAnne," Daisy said.

"I don't trust her, Daisy. Not after what she did to Rosco five years ago. I'm just afraid she's gonna break his heart and snooker him again somehow. And he's gonna let it happen."

"Maybe she's changed," Daisy suggested.

"If that's true then Boss should be made the next Pope."

* * *

It was early in the evening when Rosco brought Sue Ann back to the hotel.

"Well," she said after he walked with her to the front door. "I think we covered everything in between talking about everything else." She giggled.

Rosco smiled. "Yeah, I think we're set. What time do you want me to pick you up?"

"One o'clock," she said. "That'll give us plenty of time to get to Piedmont."

"Okay." He took his hat off in gesture. "Your chariot will be awaiting."

She smiled. They looked at each other for a moment.

"Well," Rosco said. "I guess I'll see you tomorrow then."

"Yeah."

Rosco turned to go to his patrol car but Sue Ann touched his arm. He turned back to her. Sue Ann leaned and gave him a kiss on the cheek. "Thank you," she said.

"Oh," he said. "You're welcome. 'course, I ain't done nothin' yet."

"You believe in me," she said.

Rosco looked at her and nodded. "Good night, Sue Ann."

"Good night, Rosco," she said. She then turned and went into the hotel.

* * *

MaryAnne was standing by the banister to the stairs when Rosco came home for supper.

As much as she didn't want to start a fight, MaryAnne had to speak her mind. If Sue Ann was snookerin' Rosco somehow, MaryAnne figured she might be the last chance Rosco had to get out while he could.

Rosco stopped when he came in. As he took his hat off he said, "What's the matter, MaryAnne?"

"You're gonna help her, aren't ya," she stated.

He stood there without saying a word.

"I saw you two at the Boar's Nest earlier today. I saw how she was acting all sicky sweet to you. She's got you wrapped around her finger again just like last time."

"MaryAnne, I know it sounds strange, but I do want to help her. I believe she's sincere."

"I don't. She's a con artist, Rosco, and I could almost swear that she's setting you up again for something."

"Like what?" he asked coming on the defensive.

"I don't know. But you yourself said it must be a doosy of a problem if the only person she could think of to help was you. And her story doesn't really make much sense, but you're not exactly in a position to listen to reason after being hit by a pair of batting brown eyes."

"People change, MaryAnne."

"Sure they do. After five years in prison she must've picked up a whole bunch of new tricks."

"She ain't snookerin' me," he said. "Don't you think she oughta get a second chance?"

"A second chance? Rosco, after what she did to you before I'm more apt to believe that lightening is gonna strike twice."

"Well I don't. I'm taking her to Piedmont. I don't understand why you're so sure something's gonna go wrong."

"Well, fine then, I'll take that as a thank you for being concerned. If you wanna help her Rosco, you go right ahead but I'm givin' you fair warning cousin. As long as I'm a deputy Sheriff in this county, if I find she's up to somethin' illegal or otherwise and is pulling you in on it, I'll arrest both of ya and you damn well know I can do it."

'Mama' Coltrane was standing in the doorway that led to the kitchen at this point. "What's the matter here?" she asked.

MaryAnne glanced at 'Mama' and then back at Rosco. "Oh nothing. Rosco and I were just having a spirited discussion that's all."

"It's about that lady ain't it?"

The two cousins were quiet for a moment.

"Yeah, it is," MaryAnne said. "Listen, uh, I'm not gonna have any supper. I'm gonna take a couple of pralines and go back to the courthouse."

"You ain't gonna eat?" 'Mama' asked.

MaryAnne shook her head. "I think I've said enough." She placed her deputy's hat on her head and went to the kitchen. Rosco followed and watched her from the doorway.

"MaryAnne, please."

She shook her head as she wrapped the pralines in a napkin. "Nope. I'm sorry, Rosco, but I'm stickin' to my guns on this. And I mean what I said about throwing you in the clink." She picked up the pralines and brushed past him. Without another word, she walked out of the house.

When she got to her patrol car, she paused. Rosco watched her from the window waiting for her to turn around. She didn't.

Once she got into her car she never looked toward the house. After she'd driven away, Rosco let the curtain fall back in it's place.

"She's only worried about you, Rosco," 'Mama' said. "And I am too."

"But nothing's gonna happen," Rosco said. "I'm just takin' Sue Ann to Piedmont and help straighten out the trouble she's in. That's all."

* * *

MaryAnne was cordial, at best, towards Rosco during her night patrol and the next morning when she, Enos and Rosco all reported in at the same time.

The results from the FBI on the fingerprints taken from the stolen car finally came back at eleven-thirty that morning, while Rosco was out on patrol. The FBI had been able to match four sets of prints. The rest were either too incomplete or no match could be found. The four individuals were the current owner of the car, his wife and his son and the fourth individual was a man named John Burke, who had a criminal record.


"He's probably the one who most likely took it," Enos said.

MaryAnne agreed. "Oh, you remember that slip of paper with directions to the Hazzard bookstore?"

"Yeah?"

"Why don't we take all four of these photos over to Mrs. Perkins and ask if she saw anyone of them?"

"That's a good idea."

At the bookstore, MaryAnne and Enos showed the photos to Mrs. Perkins asking if she saw anyone of them the day before.

Mrs. Perkins regarded all the photos for a moment. She pushed her cateye glasses up further on her nose and then placed her finger on the photo of John Burke.

"Him," she said. "He was in here yesterday talking to that lady that's staying over at the hotel."

"What lady?" MaryAnne asked.

"The one that Rosco was swindled by a few years ago."

MaryAnne's stomach turned.

"How long did they talk?" she asked.

"Not long. They stood over there by the magazine rack for about five minutes and then left."

"Oh boy," MaryAnne sighed. "Okay, thank you Mrs. Perkins. Come on Enos, I think Rosco is in trouble." MaryAnne and Enos bolted out of the bookstore and ran back to the courthouse.

When they got into the booking room, MaryAnne ran to the phone. She dialed the number and then waited.

"This is Deputy MaryAnne Coltrane of the Hazzard County Sheriff's Department. I need a complete record check of," she looked at the picture, "John Burke. And I also need one on a Sue Ann MacGraw."

* * *

While Enos and MaryAnne were waiting for information on Sue Ann and John Burke, Rosco had gone over to the hotel early to pick up Sue Ann.

"You're early," she said after she opened the door.

"Well, I thought we'd grab some lunch first. It is an hour and half drive to Piedmont."

Sue Ann smiled. "That sounds like a good idea. Just let me get my things."

After Sue Ann collected her belongings, they went to the desk so she could check out.

The desk clerk was polite to Sue Ann but kept giving Rosco a funny look. A few minutes later Rosco and Sue Ann drove out of Hazzard Square.

MaryAnne and Enos were still waiting for the information, and when the phone on the booking desk finally rang, it was forty-five minutes after MaryAnne originally called.

"Hello," she said quickly.

"Deputy MaryAnne Coltrane?"

"Yes."

"This is Lieutenant Gary McGarrison of the State Police. May I ask the nature surround your request?"

MaryAnne crinkled her nose in disgust and rolled her eyes, as if to say 'like I have time for this. Just give me the dang information.'

"John Burke's fingerprints were found on a stolen car found here in Hazzard County."

"And what of Sue Ann MacGraw?"

The way the Lieutenant asked about Sue Ann made MaryAnne's palms start to sweat. Her sixth sense was telling her to be careful of what she said, for Rosco's sake.

"Uh, she was seen with Burke."

"Hmm. Well, John Burke was arrested yesterday evening after he tried to steal a car in Chickasaw County."

"Again?"

"Again. You see, Mr. Burke is known for running a sort of 'underground railroad' for smuggling escaped convicts out of the state and eventually get them to Mexico. Ms. MacGraw was his current client."

MaryAnne's heart skipped a beat. "His current client?"

"Correct. She escaped from the Federal facility in Atlanta about four days ago. We figure she is most likely trying to get to Piedmont, Alabama. The U.S. Marshal already has some men there waiting for her. If she is still in Hazzard, you could save us all a lot of trouble."

MaryAnne closed her eyes. Oh, if you only knew...

"Uh, well, yes we'll be on the look out for her," she said. "If she's still here we'll catch her. I'll call you if we learn anything new. Thank you for the information Lieutenant."

MaryAnne quickly disengaged herself from the phone and hung up.

"Oh, Enos, this is the worst."

"What'd they say?"

"That was Lieutenant McGarrison of the State Police. Sue Ann wasn't paroled," she said. "She escaped."

"Escaped?!"

"Yes, and he said that the U.S. Marshal has some men waiting in Piedmont for her when she shows up. That's where Rosco's supposed to take her."

"If Sheriff Rosco gets her to Piedmont he could be charged with aiding and abetting an escape."

"Which could land him in prison for more years than there are left in this century. Come on, Enos, we've got to find them before they get out of the county."

They ran out of the booking room.

* * *

Rosco and Sue Ann, meanwhile, were getting ready to leave the Boar's Nest. As they were pulling out of the parking lot, MaryAnne and Enos were running into the hotel.

"Sorry, MaryAnne, they left here almost an hour ago," the desk clerk said after MaryAnne asked if Sue Ann was still at the hotel.

"Rosco picked her up?" she asked.

"Yep. What's up with him anyway? Ain't that the lady that swindled him?"

"Yeah it is, and she's about to do it again." She and Enos left the hotel and went back over to the patrol cars.

"Sheriff Rosco must be half way there by now," Enos said. "We'll never catch up to him and we can't use the CB because he's out of range."

"Maybe they had lunch first," MaryAnne said. "They might've stopped at the Boar's Nest or something. Listen, Enos, why don't you tell Boss and Lulu and 'Mama' Coltrane and anybody else of concern about what's going on. I'm gonna try my dangdest to catch up to them."

"Okay," he said. "Good luck, MaryAnne."

"Thanks, Enos. I'll talk to ya later." She climbed into her patrol car and tore out of the square.

In the time it took MaryAnne to get to the Boar's Next, Rosco and Sue Ann were crossin' the Chickasaw County line which meant they were on the other side of Iron Mountain and trying to reach him by CB was hopeless.

MaryAnne brought her patrol car to a sliding stop and leaving the engine running, she ran into the Boar's Nest.

Everybody, including Bo and Luke who were sitting at the bar, looked at her when she came clattering in.

"Daisy, was Rosco here?" she asked anxiously.

"Yeah," Daisy said, "he and Sue Ann left about half and hour ago."

"Aw geez, that means he's almost into Chickasaw County now."

"What's the matter?" Bo asked.

"Rosco's on his way to some trouble. Big trouble. I'll never catch up to him in my patrol car--" she stopped. "The General. Can I use the General?'

"Only if we can come with you," Luke said.

"But I might have to cross the State line. That'll violate your probation."

"Not if you commandeer the car," Luke said.

"Alright fine, I'm commandeering your car and you two. Let's go, I'll explain everything on the way."

MaryAnne ran back out and shut off the engine on her patrol car. She then climbed into the General's driver seat and tore out of the parking area of the Boar's Nest, heading toward the Chickasaw County line.

MaryAnne told the boys about Sue Ann returning to Hazzard and her story of being in trouble and wanting Rosco's help. She then told them about the stolen car and John Burke and that Sue Ann had actually escaped and that U.S. Marshals were waiting in Piedmont for her.

"Which means Rosco's gonna be charged with aiding and abetting an escape," Bo said.

"Yeah, and he has no idea what's waiting for him when he gets to Piedmont," MaryAnne said. "All this time he was believing her story. Dang it, I told him she was up to something. I can't believe she would do this to Rosco. Man, if I get my hands on her I'll--"

"Take it easy, MaryAnne, take it easy," Luke said. "Let's just worry about getting to Rosco before he gets to Piedmont."

"Yeah, I know. Hang on fellas, we're gonna be inventing a lot of shortcuts."

* * *

To get to the state line borderin' Alabama, one had to go through Chickasaw and Lampton Counties. Figuring Rosco would pretty much stay on the main highway, MaryAnne took as many shortcuts as she could think of and
a few the boys suggested to try to catch up to Rosco before he got out of Chickasaw. One of the shortcuts, however, went right by Sheriff Little. Recognizin' the General and knowin' the boys were violatin' their probation by
crossing into his county, he went after 'em.


"Oh for crying out loud," MaryAnne muttered, seeing the green and white cruiser in the mirrors. "We ain't got time to explain to him what's goin' on and I'll be danged if he tries to stop us. Hang on y'all." MaryAnne swung the General off the road with Little right behind her.

"Have you ever been chased by Sheriff Little before?" Bo asked.

"Nope. And I ain't exactly thrilled by the opportunity."

MaryAnne led the chase across country. The General's CB had been tuned to the police frequency and they heard Little calling for the boys to stop, that they were heading towards the Green River bridge which was out.

"How wide's the Green River?" MaryAnne asked.

"About a hundred and sixty feet," Luke said. "Me and Bo have never jumped it though."

"Well, there's a first time for everything."

"You're not gonna jump it are ya?!" Bo exclaimed.

"Do I look like I have much of a choice?"

"What if Little's bluffing?" Bo asked.

"He ain't," she said, looking straight down the road. The bridge most certainly was out.

The road was a straight run and MaryAnne stepped on the accelerator. In the back seat Luke grabbed on to the roll bar while Bo was gripping the edge of the passenger seat with one hand and the dash board with the other.

The General hit the manmade incline where the bridge used to rest. With seemingly simple grace and ease the General leapt into the air, leaving a trail of dirt, dust and exhaust behind it.

The car arched up into the air over the still river. As if angels were carrying it, or it had suddenly sprouted wings, the General stayed up over the river and didn't begin to descend until it was over the shoreline. The
back end of the car hit the ground first.

The boys and MaryAnne were bounced around a bit on impact but otherwise safe.

"All right!" Luke exclaimed with Bo adding a yee-ha.

"Yeah, I did do it didn't I?" MaryAnne giggled. She glanced at Bo. "What ye of little faith here."

"MaryAnne, I'll never doubt your driving ability again. And that's a promise!"

As MaryAnne and boys continued on, Sheriff Little was left to fume on the other side of the river.

"Hey, you can pick up Route 81 up ahead here," Bo said. "That'll take us right to the Lampton County line."

"Alright."


Go to Part Two